Knowledge of current expenditure
- Do you know the cost to you of each supply?
- Do you know your highest non-core cost?
- Do you have a centralised accounting toll that can be interrogated by category/department etc? Do budget holders have access to this?
- Do you know how many suppliers your business has?
- Are there multiple suppliers for single categories?
- Are there formal reviews of suppliers and contracts done annually?
- Are there special reasons why you do not fit the industry norms?
- Can outsiders access your WiFi and networks?
- Are you aware of what similar neighbouring businesses are spending on similar supplies?
- Do you belong to a procurement group or similar association?
- Do you follow best practice benchmarking of suppliers regularly?
- Are you aware of your competitors/industry standard cost profiles?
- Do you regularly read your meters?
- Do you measure what you use?
- Do you check supplier invoices against actual usage?
- Who is your Energy Manager?
- Are energy targets set and form part of managers’ performance evaluation?
- Do you monitor consumption patterns for energy?
- Do you monitor consumption patterns for non-energy products/services
- Have you done an energy/accounting audit in the last 12 months?
- Do your suppliers issue an invoice each time they make a delivery?
- Do any of your suppliers do electronic invoicing and settlement?
Current procurement system
- Do you have a list of intended projects and a campaign plan to achieve them as opportunity and resources arise?
- Do you discuss options with colleagues regularly? How often?
- Do you have a good knowledge of suitable supplier companies?
- Do you feel well-informed about consumption reduction?
- Do you believe that consumption reduction can only be achieved at an upfront cost?
- Are you wary of consumption reduction initiatives?
- Would rationalising supplier numbers enable economy of scale purchase to take place?
- Is ordering centralised, or devolved to users?
- Do you incentivise people to reduce consumption?
- Do you think the cost of supplier administration could be improved in your Accounts Department?
- Do you feel fully aware of current legislation regarding your services and operations.
- Are you aware of levels of personal liability in the senior leadership team?
- Who controls the central repository for registration/safety/compliance certificates?
- Do the owners of individual areas look after their relevant certificates?
- Do you have an itinerary of certificate expiration/renewal?
- Do you have data access and safety policies in place?
- Do you have the time required to achieve all your objectives?
- Do staff have the time required to achieve all objectives set?